Permanent, Stable Replacements for Missing Teeth
Dental implants have rapidly changed the way dentists treat missing teeth. These state-of-the-art restorations offer permanent replacements, and they provide greater stability and durability than past generations ever thought possible. At 7 Day Dental Center, our skilled oral surgeon, Dr. Mohammed Nadershah, uses the latest surgical techniques to offer a range of implant-supported restorations. Before beginning treatment, he will provide a complete consultation and help you select the optimal treatment for your needs.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are small, biocompatible titanium posts. During the implant placement procedure, Dr. Nadershah will numb your gum tissue and permanently affix these posts in your jawbone. As your gums and bone heal over the next 3 to 6 months, the posts will become permanent, stable fixtures of your oral structure. When your recovery is complete, you will return for your second appointment. At this time, your dentist will attach abutment pieces and your restoration to the top of your implant posts. Following this office visit, you will typically enjoy a completely enhanced smile and the ability to eat and speak normally.
Types of Dental Implants
Dental implants can support several types of restorations, including:
- Crowns: If you are missing only one tooth, an implant may be the best way to replace that tooth and restore your oral health.
- Bridges: Implants can hold up an entire bridge, offering greater stability than partial dentures. Unlike crown-supported bridges, they also do not involve any alteration of your surrounding teeth.
- Dentures: Implants can even be used to replace your entire dental arch. If you choose this type of restoration, Dr. Nadershah will typically use the All-on-4® method, which uses four smaller posts set at an angle to support the whole restoration.
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are several important reasons to consider dental implants for your tooth replacement treatment. Their advantages include:
- Appearance: Dental implants are virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth. Because they lie flush against your gums, you will never have to worry about trying to conceal metal clasps or adhesive. Best of all, the permanent implant posts will never slip out of place.
- Durability: If you maintain proper oral care, dental implants could last the rest of your life.
- Convenience: Implants are easy to care for, and they typically require only routine dental hygiene. Thanks to their incredible stability, you can also enjoy a wide range of foods, including hard and sticky foods that may be off limits with other types of dental restorations.
- Oral health protection: The titanium implant posts serve as synthetic dental roots. Therefore, they can help prevent jawbone demineralization, which often occurs with tooth loss. In some cases, they can also help to rebuild lost bone structure.
Dental Implant Candidates
To be considered for dental implants, you must have enough jawbone structure to support the posts. However, if you have been missing teeth for some time, your bone may have shrunk quite drastically. Fortunately, with bone grafting, your oral surgeon can replace this lost material and create a stable foundation for your restorations. During the procedure, the specialist will place your own bone, donor material or a synthetic substitute over the parts of your jaw that have begun to shrink. After your bone has fused with this material, Dr. Nadershah can place your implant posts and begin restoring your smile.
Qualifying for Dental Implants
Dental implants can offer the most lifelike solution to tooth replacement by providing a prosthetic replica of your lost teeth’s roots. To find out if you qualify, schedule a visit by calling the 7Day Dental office closest to you! Our offices are located in Ft. Worth and Lake Worth, TX, and we welcome patients and their families who live in all of the surrounding DFW communities.