How much water do you drink every day? Are you under the impression that it’s good for your body but you’re not sure about whether it affects your smile? Perhaps you know that guzzling H20 is beneficial but if asked about how many glasses of water you should drink daily, you don’t have a definitive response. Don’t worry, learning all about how water can benefit your oral health is simple. Think you already know the facts? Find out by taking our quick hydration quiz.
Quiz: True or False?
- True or False: Drinking enough water every day is just as important for your oral health as it is for the rest of your body.
- True or False: You should drink at least two 8-oz. glasses of water every day.
- True or False: We suggest sticking to drinking water during meals rather than soft drinks, juice, or other beverages because it actually helps clean your smile.
Quiz Answer Key
- True. If you don’t drink enough water, your oral health may suffer. This is because you will become dehydrated, so the tissues in your mouth may become dry. Then, bacteria may multiply, leading to problems that can include halitosis and tooth decay.
- False. Actually, your best bet for remaining hydrated (and to keep your oral health safe) is drinking eight 8-oz. glasses of water on a daily basis.
- True. In addition to rinsing away bacteria, it will dislodge food and beverage particles from your teeth. The result? A decreased likelihood of staining and increased protection from developing cavities and gingivitis.