When it comes to protecting your oral health, you may begin to wonder whether there’s a whole lot of luck involved or if preventive care and other efforts in dental care are really the required ingredients. The truth is, depending on the particular issue you’re thinking about (whether it’s tooth decay, an accidental break, gingivitis, or otherwise), a long list of factors may come into play. Allow us to take a bit of the guesswork out of this, so you gain a clearer understanding about how to keep your smile in one (healthy) piece.
Quiz: Oral Health
- True or False: Genetics often play a role in your oral health. For instance, some patients are predisposed to periodontal problems, while others are not.
- True or False: Since your heredity may play a role in the health of your smile, you may not need to care for your teeth and gums.
- True or False: Preventive care methods include a long list of options to protect your smile, from home dental hygiene to cleanings, checkups, oral appliance therapy for issues like TMJ disorder, and athletic mouth guards that protect your smile during sports.
- True. Genetics do often contribute to your likelihood of developing certain oral health problems, from tooth decay to gingivitis.
- False. Dental hygiene is always important, even if you are not extremely prone to certain problems. Unfortunately, bacteria can lead to oral health problems (including halitosis) for any patient. It’s always important to brush, floss, and schedule visits with us.
- True. If you are interested in protecting your smile, you need more than just luck. Schedule a preventive visits with us and we can help you do all that you can to keep your smile safe and healthy.